Patriotic Songs, July 4th and Country Music Day
As America celebrates the 4th of July it’s also National Country Music day and it seems this is a natural to have both on the same day. If you’re looking for a “soundtrack” for patriotic songs this is the genre of music to pay tribute to our country.. Here’s 10 songs to start with for the celebration.
- God Bless the USA – An anthem from Lee Greenwood it’s been a song that has stood for years. Many consider it the second national anthem of sorts.
- It’s America – Rodney Atkins has had a smash with this upbeat song that pays tribute to all American things from Chevrolet cars to Bruce Springsteen.
- Only In America – Brooks & Dunn shot some of this video from the air looking over the country and others with images from lines of the song of New York City and the faces of our future. The concert scenes echo “everybody gets to dance.”
- Have You Forgotten – Darryl Worley is often seen as a political song but as Darryl says he’s patriotic, not political. Sometimes this gets mixed together but this is another song that doesn’t get old.
- Ragged Old Flag – Johnny Cash paid tribute to our flag in the way small towns and old flags can.
- What This Country’s Coming To – Buddy Jewell recorded this on his Country Man cd and although not a single it expresses what many feel about the state of our country.
- Where The Stars & Stripes & the Eagle Fly – Aaron Tippin has been out several years but is just as well received today as it was when it was on the radio charts. Hearing an entire hillside of people singing along with it at the 2009 CMA Fest Riverfront stage shows clearly it we don’t forget.
- God Bless America – Martina McBride performed this before the Rose Bowl Parade in 2002 and although many do it well as a country performer who has seen America coast to coast it is incredible to hear her voice backed with the overhead military flyby.
- Star Spangled Banner – Darryl Worley has a version done after recital of the pledge and Amazing Grace played on bagpipes, Taps and a tribute before the 2008 Coca-Cola 600 – on Memorial Day weekend this was an all around.
- When a Hero Falls – Stephen Cochran sings a real life and personal tribute to a soldier who gave his life in the line of duty.
There are many songs that pay tribute to our country – this is a mix of common and less common songs. May we never take for granted our freedom and may country music continue to remind us when we do.